Thursday, March 25, 2010

School Days!


First day at school and of course I have stories! Before I tell you about my day, I have to say that the Belizean people have got the schedule figured out for the school day. We arrived to school a little after eight o’clock this morning and assembly was called sometime around eight-thirty, just whenever they felt like it. Every day is started off when the Lord’s Prayer and the singing of the Belizean national anthem. How do you think that would go over in our schools?!

My teacher was about fifteen minutes late and the principal came into the classroom and told me to just entertain the eleven eager faces staring back at me. A name game it was! We all went around and now I really know my student’s names! My teacher came in and we did a workbook page and wrote sentences then colored in coloring books until our thirty-minute break. We came back in and all the students were busy in their workbooks saying “Teacher Anna Teacher Anna” every minute for me to check their work or help with a question. Very different than any classroom I’ve been in before. We have a great lunch break and we go to the delis around school to try new things. It was interesting to see how laid back everyone was about doing work and instruction. A lot less stressful than anything I’m used to. I could get used to this kind of living!

No comments:

Post a Comment