Tuesday, April 20, 2010

Welcome to a New Way of Teaching

As I started this week of teaching, I began to think about the differences in teaching here in Belize and teaching in Wilmington. One thing is for certain and that is the teaching here in San Pedro is a lot less stressful and little pressure exists. In Wilmington I would constantly be thinking about every lesson and every detail in every lesson to make sure everything was ready and perfect. Life is not as face-paced here as it is in Wilmington so all those worries have dissipated into the air.

During the school day teachers do not fret over making sure everything is done perfectly. They have so much confidence in their students and in the abilities that exist in the classroom. I have taken on this attitude during my time here and it has made teaching so much more enjoyable.

One thing that is certain is that technology is not readily available here as it is in Wilmington. I cannot Google something or print out worksheets easily; I cannot even look something up when my students have questions. I have had to be as creative as possible and utilize all the resources that I can put my hands on. It has made me appreciate teaching in a whole new way!

No comments:

Post a Comment