Sunday, April 18, 2010

UnBelizeAble Week at School

This past week of school flew by! Now that I have been teaching full time all week, I am ready and prepared for what comes my way. Things here in Belize are not always exactly planned out well and so it is not that unusual for my teacher to be fifteen minutes late to school or ask me to teach on something that I don't have lessons for. The whole idea of being a "flexible teacher" has really been tested and grown during my time here. I have been bringing in new children's books for them every day and the first thing we do now is "story time." They had only a few books in their classroom that were torn or missing pages so an actual children's book was like gold!

We had PE class this week and it was the highlight of all the student's day. There is a sand/cement playground, but my teacher says she always takes the children to the beach because there is a breeze. So off we go to the beach for "PE." I made the children do some stretches and then had them play games that involved a lot of running, hopping, and skipping. They laughed and whenever tourists would walk by they would stop and say hello. The five minute walk back to school was an entire chant with the children shouting "hop two, three, four." People came out of their houses to come and see this sight and a sight it certainly was!

So many of the children are just starting to get used to us "gringos" that they don't want us to leave! I don't want to leave either and I told them I had to go home to graduate. From their sweet faces they said "Then you'll come back down here?" I can only hope so!

No comments:

Post a Comment